Monday, May 12, 2014

Slow and Steady

It's funny how a 17 mile day is now "easy" for us. When we first started this trip we struggled to get 15 miles in. After drinking a half gallon of milk, eating off-brand Oreos, 11 chicken patties, and Pringles, we slept very well last night. I couldn't believe how much I ate. I was more shocked that my body craved more food after eating all of that. After waking up today, we packed, got free coffee from the hostel and went on our way. That is another thing I crave often. Coffee. It was so good to sleep in knowing that coffee would be ready by 7:30. Because of the wonderful drink, we got a late start. We still made it to camp by 4:15. We don't know what to do for the rest of the day. We already have our tent setup, a fire going, Danae already mended a small rip in her pack. I guess we will just lay here and relax until tomorrow. Looks like we will have to do 20-mile days so that we don't get bored. 

When we were in Georgia everyone told us that Virginia would be easy. It is a little bit easier so far, but the real easy terrain comes after Waynesboro. That will be a few weeks. As of now we still have 5,000+ ft elevation to climb. As we get closer to friends and family who agreed to host us for a night, we are looking forward to slack-packing and getting big miles in those days. Slack packing is when we only take enough supplies for 1 day and leave the rest at a friends house. This allows us to carry one 7-pound backpack instead of two 30+ pound backpacks. 

I tried to call my mom today to wish her a happy birthday, but had no service. I'll try again tomorrow. Happy birthday mom! Love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment